Sunday, October 21, 2018

Fun with Nuns



Once while I was in an Office Depot I encountered a nun. She needed help, and thought I worked there, I did not. However, I helped her any. I go around to office stores looking for clearance items, good way to get spare flash drives and other bits. So, I encountered her several times. We got to be friendly.

One day she asked if I would get a coffee with her, I don't drink coffee, but I went with her anyway. It must have been an odd sight for people to see a dude like me sitting with a nun. While I had been friendly with her, this was the first time we had an actual serious conversation. She told me that I treated her differently then most people she was around outside of her convent. I told her, first that I wasn't catholic, and second that I was treating her as I would treat any woman I was friendly terms with. We would meet several more times, and conversed, and we began to flirt.

It wasn't till a few later that she asked an obvious question: "If you aren't catholic, what are you?". I told her I was an atheist, that I had been ever since as an 8 or 9 year old I had read the bible and various other religious texts  and found them wanting. After this conversation, I wasn't sure if I would see her again, but to my surprise I did.

I had expected her to try to covert me, or in someway talk me out my atheist stance, but she didn't. In fact she seemed very curious about it, I think I may have been the first one she had ever meet, or at least the first one she had ever had the chance to really talk to.

Then one day, she came to meet me and she wasn't in her habit. In normal cloths she was actually a fairly attractive woman. She told me that she had left the church, and that our conversations had been what made her start thinking about it. We have been friends ever since.

However, in some ways she hasn't left faith behind. She now actively proselytizes atheist ways of thinking, and protests for atheist rights. I personally don't do any of that, but it is good she has found something that she loves to do.

It warms heart to see that someone who was so emerged in religious practices can find enlightenment. It gives me hope for the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment