Sunday, May 16, 2021

My Longest Consecutive Gaming Session

 I have played video games for as long as I can remember. My earliest memories of them are of the Atari 5200, and on an old computer at my grandmother's house. However, I am not generally known for super long play sessions. Usually after about an hour and a half to two hours, and I need to stop for a bit. Illness or extreme circumstance have lead to slightly longer over the years, but very rarely more than 4 hours. However, there is one that stands out.

It was back in '08. I had just upgraded by computer with my friends old graphics card. I didn't have anything to test it with, well nothing other than a friends copy of Bioshock that he had forgotten to take with him a week earlier. Well couldn't exactly test it with Half-Life 1, so in went the copy of Bioshock.

 It had been a long day, and it was nearly midnight when I finished putting the card in and started installing Bioshock. Now I was not very into FPS games at the time, truth be told I am still not. Bioshock for whatever reason was very compelling to me.

I started playing almost exactly at midnight. I kept playing till I began to see the morning sun beam through my window with the sound of birds. At that point, I thought I would stop at the next obvious check point. I didn't, I kept playing. I didn't stop till I had finished the game, seeing the good ending for saving all the "little sisters". It was a few minutes after noon. 

I had sat and played Bioshock for 12 hours straight. Even as a child when home sick from school I don't think I ever did anything like that. No game has compelled me in quite that way since.

1 comment: