Video games are something of a passion of mine. As an insomniac they have been a very good friend to me over the years. However, there are things that happen in them that get me a bit upset. Some are design choices, some are cliches, some are just trends in the industry.
5. Fanboys. Not unique to video games by any means. Still, they make everything just a little worse.
4. Cliffhanger endings. Don't assume your game is good enough for sequel.
3. Celebrity voice actors. Wow, 3 minutes of dialog from a famed actor, that was so worth the money. Worse when you can see corners were cut other places to pay for it.
2. DLC. The idea is nice. New content, also nice. However, after a few years, you sometimes can't get it anymore. Recently, I got the urge to play some Fallout 3. I reinstall it, patch it, go to get re-download the DLC I paid good money for, and there is no longer a way to download it. Game For Window Live, always looking for new ways to screw over consumers. I miss when you could buy expansion packs on disks.
1. Forced stealth sections in games that aren't designed around stealth. Nothing brings the flow of a game to a halt faster. Your playing, enjoying it, and now here is a part where everything you have learned up to this point is taken away. Stealth only works if the whole game is about it, and the engine the game uses was meant for it.